Braemar
The F. T. Scripps Estate in Pacific Beach
circa 1920



Looking north to La Jolla, this has been the site of the Catamaran Hotel since 1959.  Not visible are the streetcar tracks to La Jolla, built in 1924 nor Crystal Pier, built in 1926.  The palm trees on Bayard and Pacific Beach drive are still there, but a bit taller.  In 1926 a large dining room was added to the west side of the house.  For some years, after the estate gave way to the Catamaran Hotel, the dining room remained on the property as a wedding chapel.  The chapel was moved to make way for a parking structure, and is now the Rose Creek Cottage wedding chapel at 2525 Garnet Avenue.




Return to San Diego Photos Page

Return to Historic Photos Page