When Mission Bay Park was planned, it was determined that the bridge between South Mission and Ocean Beach would have to be demolished in order to allow sailboats to travel in and out of the bay. Draw bridges and tunnels were studied, but determined to be too expensive. This photo, NOT taken by Howard Rozelle, is dated May 5, 1950. The Army Corps of Engineers has done much of the work on the Flood Control Channel and the old bridge is still standing. The old streetcar tracks through Famosa Slough can be seen at the south end of the bridge. To this day, OBCEANS have to drive out to Ingraham Street and back west over the Glen Rick Bridge to get to Mission Beach.

Return to Howard Rozelle Page

Return to Historic Photos Page